Monday, January 24, 2005

O Happy Day!

Wow...I'm so happy today... I mean...its a pretty big milestone for me. So Peina...save ur two-cents worth k? Heh...gotta enjoy and embrace that moment man..

Alright..I teach this P1 class Health Ed, and this class is a REAL BIG challenge man...there's a girl with down's syndrome, another girl with suspected autism, a boy whom u can't scold cos he's slow and to add to that, a bunch of mischievous boys. Wow right? And I only see them once a week.. Hai...how to build rapport with them? Anyway, my main problem is with the girl with down's syndrome, Clarissa. The first time I went into the class, she said she felt "tired" and lay down in the reading corner for the whole lesson, ignoring me. Alright, so I thought the 2nd week would be better...but NO, I was wrong. So naive of me huh? She ran out of the class the minute I stepped into class! Can you beat that? And for the whole half hour, she was out of class, wondering to the toilet and canteen. Gosh. So I talked to her form teacher again, and decided that I should try to talk to her more often and win her over. Week 3 was Hari Raya Haji so no lesson. So for 1 week or so, each time I saw her I would say "Hi Clarissa". Purely just to strike a conversation with her, but to no avail. Sigh. Right, so today, I was armed with a sticker in attempt to bribe her. Me being despicable? NOpe...I'm being innovative...heh. So round 1, before school, I was unsuccessful. Okay, so as usual, after school, I was at Gate E for duty as per normal, and I was "eagerly" awaiting for Clarissa. So desperate right? Anyway, she finally appeared, with a chinese teacher. So I said "Hi Clarissa!", and her immediate reaction was to hide behind the teacher. She gave me the bewildered look and I explained that she didn't like me. Then she said that she was insructed to hand her over to me. Heh...marvellous right? so for one moment, I thought I was going to fail and disappoint the chinese teacher. So I remembered that I had a sticker! Muahaha...so I whipped it out and talked her into me holding her hand and walking her to the gate. She didn't look convinced at first so she coaxed her a little I think. Finally, she held my hand(for the first time!) and we walked to the gate! Phew... Now, its the thing she did later which amazed me even more... She offered me a sweet! Wow, I was stunned! Now, you must understand that she's quite temperamental, and dosen't like her chinese teacher as well. She can be quite obedient at times but stubborn at other times too. So I must say it was quite an achievement today. She really made my day! Now, I must build on this and win her over! Yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home