Thursday, May 19, 2005

reminisce

So...term 2 is drawing to an end, and somehow, I feel kinda lost. I have no idea where the 'lost' feeling came from, but I feel melancholic and a tinge of sadness and I know where that comes from.(it must be the cold weather aggravating my emotions)

I dropped the 'bomb' on my kids today. I told them I would be leaving them soon. Reactions to that were varied, but it didn't really matter to me. Some expressed shock and hoped I would come back to teach them after 2 years. Some were indifferent and kept their feelings to themselves. Others asked me what the new teacher was like. I thought I would feel better after telling them, but no, I felt much worse and was close to tears. (ok, that was a little exagerrated, but hey, i was sad k?)

Well...so lessons went on as usual, then nearing to the end of the day, 2 girls came up to me and asked me whether they could organise a party to thank me for teaching them for the whole of these 2 terms. I must confess, I did not expect it nor see it coming. They are such sweet girls. But on hindsight, it means I have to clean up for them! Ahahaha... Anyway...told them I would have to check it out first.

During the car ride to the airport(we went there for dinner), and on the way home after that, I was deep in thought about who to pick as my 'model' pupils for terms 1 and 2. I tossed a few names in my mind and I'm proud to have made a decision. En route to making the decision, I reflected on the past 5 months with these kids and found out that I actually had lots to cheer about and be proud of. Most of them have grown and matured in their own way and I'm glad for them. There are, of course, a few recalcitrant ones who, even after repeated scoldings, pep talks and what-have-you, still do not change. But I thank God for those lives whom I have been able to mould and shape into the ones they are today.

I guess that's what makes teaching so special, nothing beats seeing your own pupils transform, and the satisfaction which you get from it, cannot be expressed in words. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home