Monday, April 23, 2007

I just read a friend's blog about her grandfather's passing...and it immediately brought tears to my eyes. Not only was it touching, it also reminded me of my very own Ah Kong, who is now in the care of a nursing home. It all started going downhill when he slipped and fell down during SARs period. Subsequently his muscles degenerated as he was too scared to walk. Bouts of Pneumonia plagued him and feeding tube was needed... bed sores developed from lying in the same position for too long. Even as he recovered, he never attempted to walk and was effectively immobile, so it did not make sense to bring him home.

Just a couple of weeks back, he fell at the nursing home and broke a bone near the hip socket. It caused excruciating pain to him and there was no choice but to operate on him and put screws in to fuse the bone together. Sigh. Reading my friend's blog reminded me of how fragile life really is. And no one knows when is his or her time to go... but one thing I know for sure, is that I'll have regrets if I do not treasure him now and spend time with him while he's still here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home