Thursday, June 28, 2007

parenting 101

First and foremost, you need to act like parents and not your child's friends. Next, set appropriate boundaries and be consistent, stick to the rules.

It seems so straightforward isn't it? But I think more and more younger parents today are finding hard to do. Teaching is a lot like parenting too. Well, I just watched Nanny 911 for the first time on TV just now, and I had a rude shock as to how violent the kids were and how indifferent the dad was. And mum is no better, acts like a friend to her daughter, and does not assert her authority. I was speechless, found myself shaking my head at the mum's actions when dealing with her daughter. So in this show, a nanny steps in and helps the family set things straight. Kudos to the nanny. Very patient and knows her stuff.

Anyway, watching this show really was an eye-opener. Its amazing how the kids were in control of the house/home and not the parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home